- Timely land preparation at least 30 days before the onset of rainfall
- Plough the land well to achieve a fine seed bed.
- Use well rotted manure whenever available to provide nutrients to the soil.
- Use the correct fertilizer types and rates depending on the soil type e.g. avoid DAP in red soil to reduce on acidity.
- Plant timely preferably before the onset of rainfall for direct planted crops.
- Sow in the nursery at least 4 weeks before transplant.
- Prepare the nursery near a water source.
- Use only the varieties recommended in your region.
Manage weeds, pests and diseases to avoid losses.